Whew, I finally finished reading chapter 7 of The Wealth of Networks: How social production transforms markets and freedom by Yochai Benkler. It was a bit of a slog at times, but definitely worthwhile. I will comment on it here later after a bit more reflection.
In the meantime, I came across an interesting post from Wired-dot-com citing an impressive fall-off in new-user registrations for Facebook—7.8 million+ in May, followed by only 320,000 or so in June. By my hasty calculation that is a drop of 95% plus change!
Ryan Singel, the post’s author, notes that Facebook took a bit of a public flogging during this period over their sleight-of-hand regarding privacy settings, and that certainly could be giving potential new users pause. But the more intriguing conjecture, as Singel puts it, is “…there’s also the possibility that almost every American who has any interest in joining Facebook already has.”
That would represent one very fast ride to (U.S.) market saturation!
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/07/facebook-fatigue/
This blog serves as my "electronic field journal" in which I document my thoughts, experiences, and observations relative to a concentrated exploration of how social media may be used to support human and even organizational performance. This investigation is undertaken in the context of a graduate course at Florida State University in Summer of 2010, "EME6635 Web 2.0-based Learning and Performance". Your participation is welcome, so please feel free to share your own thoughts and questions!
No comments:
Post a Comment